Tuesday 11 March 2008

Jungle- Part 3

Well the final day arrived upon us, we (Ian and I) wished that we could have stayed longer, but I wanted to get back to Anna and Daniel, and we felt three days was the right length of time, this time. I plan to go back on a regular basis, and possibly with Anna and Daniel, and probably with a team at the end of the year, to do a short term mission trip.
However this wasn't the end of our journey. Our intention was to go and see one of the indigenous tribes, but it was deemed to far to go there, with our plane due to go in the early afternoon, however God has other plans!
We set off to see one of the other church plants in Pucallpa. (Ian didn’t drive I’d like to add).


Ian on a mototaxi, typical in the jungle of Peru

This was in another poor part of the town, and they were again blessed to meet us, very humbling. Anyway I was asked to preach, again, without warning, great for my Spanish, although I felt it was right to talk about having a vision and Nehemiah, and his vision, but managed to avoid any difficult words or names.The church building from the outside

We then were took, on what we thought was a tour of the village, but no, we were taken to a part of the village where part of a tribe I cannot remember, and evn if I did I wouldn't be able to pronounce it, lives. The pastor of the Peruvian church then said I’m going to find the pastor of this church. He arrives 5 minutes later, along with the elders, and then Ian says to me they’re talking about us on the loudspeaker. Ian said I heard the word iglesia (church) on the loudspeaker. Ian was spot on as after five minutes people started to arrive from every direction, and then Ian and I were asked to introduce ourselves and then preach.

Myself at the front of the indigeneous church

We did this, but for the first time in three languages, Ian in English, myself interpreting into Spanish, and then one of the elders interpreting into their Indian dialect. This has always been a desire of mine, which I can now tick off my list of things to do.
After this we rushed back to the church, ate and then caught the plane back.

At the zoo with the wonderful Oseas (Hosea) and our friend the croc

I have learned many things from this trip already, a greater trust in God for money, secondly that all mission and good church work starts on our knees, in prayer, and we need to be generous whenever we can, despite what we do or don’t have.

No comments: