Tuesday 28 July 2009

Happy Independence Day!

Today Peru is 188 years old. Today and tomorrow are public holidays to celebrate (I think that they have 2 days off because there are so many other holidays that to make this one special we get an extra day!) It used to be law that every house had to display a flag or else get a fine. Now we are unsure of whether it is law or not (no one seems to know!) We rebelled last year, but now we have 2 Peruvians in our house (Joel and Lili!) we decided it would be fun to participate!!

At church on Sunday we had a traditional musical performance from a lady who sang with a box drum called a cajon. She sang various songs about Peru. I have translated the lyrics of one below. What is lovely is that Peruvians do love their country and they are proud of it. This song represents that (and is in honour of our Peruvian son's first independence day!):

My Peru

I am proud to be Peruvian and I am happy to have been born in this beautiful land of sun
Where the unconquered inca preferring to die,
Bequeathed to my race a great inheritance of worth

Rich mountains, beautiful earth,
Cheerful beaches – that’s my Peru!
Fertile land, snowy peaks,
Rivers, ravines, - that’s my Peru!

You see my race is noble and humble by tradition,
But rebellious when her freedom is inhibited,
So united soul, mind and heart,
Breaking through chains when death approaches.

Rich mountains, beautiful earth,
Cheerful beaches – that’s my Peru!
Fertile land, snowy peaks,
Rivers, ravines, - that’s my Peru!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: