Wednesday 13 June 2007

Thoroughly modern medicine


Yesterday evening we found ourselves in hospital with Daniel again, checking up on his fever and vomiting (he's a lot better now) and as I sat next to the cot with my head on the bed I thought how familiar all the medicial surroundings were. Mark found the trip annoying and a waste of time but I was grateful for the knowledge I've acquired over the past year.


I knew that contact with medical personal increased when you start having kids, but I really think that the number of separate trips regarding Daniel for check-ups and treatment is slightly excessive. I mean, the year before I got pregnant, I visited the doctor's once. Let me give you a run down on the past year...

10 visits to Jessops Hospital (4 antenatal visits, 1 seven-week hospital stay, 5 neonatal follow-ups)

2 visits to Children’s hospital (one minor accident involving a mug and Daniel’s head, one check-up for Daniel with a fever)

1 visit to Hallamshire hospital (out of hours GP)

2 visits to see the Health Visitor (check-ups)

5 visits to see the nurse (jabs and travel jabs)

3 visits to see the GP (1x check-up, 1x illness, 1x travel jabs)
Total: 22 visits in just over 1 year.

And that does not include the weekly visits from the neonatal follow-up community nurse who visited us weekly for the first 6 weeks Daniel was at home, and the usual appointments with the community midwife before Daniel was born.

Although I do feel like I could find my way to the hospitals blind-folded, I do see how blessed we are to live in a country where it is all free and so many facilities are available, especially when we are moving to Peru in September. I also feel grateful for all the knowledge I've gained about pregnancy, babies, sickness in children which I know will come in very handy in the future.


The other amazing thing is that all treatments and check-ups have either been at home or less than 5 minutes drive from our house!

No comments: