Thursday 21 June 2007

TOM weekend

(Mark) Well the rundown of busy and exciting weekends until we get to Peru started last weekend. We were at the UK annual gathering of TOM (the Order of Mission) http://www.missionorder.org
the religious order we are part of. TOM is an organisation which helps missional leaders to connect with each other, as well as support them to do what God has called them to. It was a significant time for Anna, and I, as we took our permenant vows, and God was speaking to me about the large scale of what we are called to do in Peru, and how we need him to complete this calling. Just after this a friend, John Mansergh gave me a word of encouragement and said look at Psalm 62. Verses 1 and 2 set the scene:

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.


This was a real comfort as I felt the presence of the Lord greatly upon me. The Hebrew word for glory as found in Exodus 33 is kavod, the heaviness of God., and I certainly felt this weight and responsibility from God, so John's word was timely to say the least.

Also as we took our permenant vows of accountability, purity, and simplicity, commiting ourselves to God, mission and TOM for life, I realised how important this relationship we have with TOM actually is.


It was also a great weekend for many other reasons. Firstly the teaching from Mike Breen was excellent, useful and thought provoking. Secondly, we had a meal with other guys in TOM on the Friday night, which was just like having dinner with family. Finally, we had a family service on the Sunday morning which was great fun, felt like family, and took parts in prayer stations (different ways of praying for people designed by the kiuds of TOM). This was again a real sign of family, especially as guys we didn't know that well prayed for us, as we prepare for Peru. I feel very honoured to be part of such a family, who will be supporting us in Peru.


2 comments:

Gosia and Henny said...

Hi
greetings from the netherlands. My name is Henny and I just happened to stumble on your website by coincidence. I liked your blog although I was never in Peru so I have no idea what to expect.
How did you end up in this country? What suprises you most?

I will stop bye once in a while if I may

greetings
Henny & Gosia
http://gosiad.blogspot.com

Mark, Anna, Daniel, Joel and Kaleb Burgess said...

Hi Henny & Gosia. We ended up in Peru because we have felt that is where God has been leading us to go. We are missionaries here. Anna studied Spanish and French at university and we travelled to Peru 2 years ago as part of her course and loved it and felt at home so we have just come back. I think when you are a missionary you expect surprises all the time, so I don't know whether you can still call them surprises! The Peruvians do certainly have their ways of doing things - everything is a lot less complicated but takes twice as long! Glad you are enjoying the blog.