Tuesday 18 August 2009

An Englishman 'delayed' In New York

Well after the flying visit to my cousin's wedding I was aiming to return home to Peru on Monday, however when I arrived at Toronto Airport I was told that I might have problems with my connection. I was told several times that I would be fine as the gates were close in New York and I would have 20 minutes. Well circling for 30 minutes meant I missed my connection to Peru!
Therefore I was an Englishman delayed in New York, or Newark to be exact. Well Continental Airlines have a policy that weather is not covered by their insurance policy, and so I had to pay for my hotel. (I did get a 'I am a missionary' meal voucher!) Therefore Anna said to me 'you're in New York go and discover it'.
Madison Square Gardens
Therefore I dropped my bags off and got the train to New York, New York. I arrived at Penn Station and climbed up to find Madison Square Gardens.

Times Square

The Empire State Building

I then saw the building all gorillas love, but 88 dollars to go up it and to see the Statue of Liberty seemed a bit steep. (no pun intended)So I did another New York tradition instead and bought a Hot dog off the street!


Broadway and Yellow taxis

I then decided to see how many sights I could see before it went dark, and walked for about 4 hours and a half round New York. I saw Times Square, Broadway, Central Park, The Waldorf Astoria (big letdown, it's just a hotel) Carneige Hall (still have no idea what it is), the Plaza Hotel, and Grand Central Station. I obviously missed a few important sites, but with time and money limited, I throughly enjoyed my impromptu visit to New York, New York.

How many films have used Grand Central Station. (Answers on a postcard)

No comments: